Tuesday, June 3, 2008

5 miles and the Fantastic Four

We did it! 5 miles in 1 hour 8 minutes! Still quicker than the time we are supposed to run, but we reassured ourselves that we'll slow down! It was a nice day, no rain in the morning, but humid. We've escaped the humidity for quite sometime this year, and the heat, but summer will be creeping in, no doubt. We decided on a name, The Fantastic Four. I'm not super jazzed on it, but I had nothing better to offer. And really, a rose by any other name would still smell as sweet and/or run as well!

So, we bit the bullet...I am now a member, again, of the Talbot YMCA. The pickup truck scared me enough to shell out $117 upfront and $38 each month thereafter. All for a worthy cause, I altruistically justified to myself, and better than ending up dead. My first run there was last night, it was good. Better treadmills than in my shed, I'll tell you. Plus there are TVs, it's air conditioned, the treadmill has numbers flashing at how well I'm doing (or not doing, potato/potahto). I think I will be OK here for the next three months. It does irk me to have to drive someplace to run, but better safe than sorry. Do I always use so many cliches?

It's really amazing that I ran 5 miles. Running with others makes all the difference. If you asked me to do that alone, I would say, "No thanks" or "I'll see you in three hours", cuz I'd walk the whole thing. I guess, for me, it's not the four of us that are so fantastic, although the gals I run with are great. It's what we are doing, or can do, that is phenomenal. Yea! :) Maybe our name isn't half bad after all.

So this Saturday we, the Fantastic Four, and about 40 others, will run 6 miles - a 10K! - and almost half the half marathon! Each week there's something to look forward to! Hip hip hooray! It's all very exciting.

No comments: