Sunday, June 22, 2008

Eight Miler

Ahhh, so that’s done! I met up with Amy at 6 a.m. on this humidish Sunday morning, the sun just stretching itself awake, and the moon putting itself to bed. We walked around the track to warm up and we decided on a 3:1 pace, which we kept up for 4 miles. 4 miles in 46 minutes, thank you very much! That’s an 11.5 minute mile! Didn’t I just say I was not a sub-13 gal? Hello!

I was feeling a little winded, so at that half way mark we had our Goo and we switched the pace to 3:2. Amy was so incredibly flexible with running speed and pace – she's lovely! It was a joy to run with her. She told me how Easton Rocks began and some happenings along the way. I am so impressed that two gals (she and another Susan) had a vision for a few after school programs and it has turned into this! She has big dreams and ideas for the future, all of which get me so excited. I offered to help in some way, so I’ll be doing some administrative work for her when the school year gets started. I’m delighted to lend a hand in some way, more than running! :)

So, back to the run. After the 4 mile mark, we slowed it down a bit, but the time still slipped by, because we were chatting. I’m telling you there is no other way to run, you have to have a running buddy! We followed familiar roads and towards the end, Amy’s GPS watch beeped for 8 miles, and I was surprised! SUR-PRISED that we ran 8 miles. 8 miles in 1 hour 40 minutes! 12.57 minutes per mile. Sub-13, by 3 seconds, but still!

So it’s been 9 hours since I returned home. My quads were sore in church and I took a 1.5 hour nap this afternoon, but right now I’m feeling OK! Eight miles done, just have to add five more for the half marathon! C’mon Nine Miler! I can’t wait!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Way to go!!! I am proud of you my friend. I want to say that I helped with your training with all the swimming, tree climbing, sledding and much more LOL. You are a winner in my book. Keep up the good work, and continue to have fun with it.

Your a great friend, and I am so glad we got reconnected.

Russ

RichFam said...

Wow, Susan!

You just amaze me! That is an incredible accomplishment! Jay and I have tried to start working out at the gym, and I want to DIE after 20 minutes on the eliptical machine! ha ha ha.

Great job, Susan! :o)