Sunday, August 3, 2008

Note to Self

More for my own memory than anything else... I did my 12 miles in two days - 6 yesterday afternoon and another 6 today - which was kosher by our coaches. Both times I mostly walked, which still takes a bit out of you. I was able to maintain less than a 15 minute mile with the treadmill, but who's to say I'd do that without the pavement moving underneath me. I would love to maintain that pace. Funny how numbers sound better or worse depending on one's situation.

Here's my game plan 4 weeks out (and if you're one of my coaches reading this, forgivaness please) - start slowish, meaning: walk quickly (since that doesn't really seem to irritate my knee). Then I think I will speed up, meaning: run some, walk some. The 2:3 ratio, although slow, feels good to the old knee. Depending on how I feel, around mile 10, assess quick walking vs. run walking vs. "Oww, I hope I can finish" walking. I would love to finish sub3:30. Cut off time is four hours. By mile 10 I hope to be around 2:30, but will likely be slower than that. If I were to hit 2:30, I could probably walk backwards and still finish in time.

I don't know if all this is bad form, like am I jinxing myself by putting all these numbers out there, but, as I said, just a note to self, "thinking online".

Well, that's it. I know some of my friends will be zipping along at a 10 minute mile, and some at 16. Hey, in the end, it's just a number. I would like to finish before the cut off, though. At least I'm in the game, a few weeks ago that was the question, right?

No comments: