Sunday, July 27, 2008

6 Mile Recovery Run

Good News! I did six miles without hurting!!!! Praise God from whom all blessings flow! Sing it with me!

I did my two maintenance runs this week as walks and got up to 4.2 mph - top speed. I was over the moon that I could at least maintain a 15 minute mile for, well, only two miles, but still - no pain! I kibbitzed with my coaches and, same story as always - "ice, stretch, get insoles, you can do this. Head out with the 2:3 group this week (run 2 minutes, walk 3) instead of walking it. See how it goes." I was just so nervous about hurting, but I was reassured my one coach that I'm not a whimp because of that, nobody likes hurting. I felt a little better then.

Thursday night my hubby got me heat moldable insoles ($30, but WORTH IT) which we put in my shoes Friday night, ready for my 6 a.m. group run. I put out all my clothing, got my water ready, Shot Blocks, etc., set my alarm for 5:03(p.m.). 5:50 A.M. Derek nudges me and says, "Don't you have to leave?" eeek! I have never done anything so fast in my life, I was out the door and at the park by 6:00! I get there with tears just under the surface because I wanted this to go well, I was behind the eight ball already and I just didn't feel prepared at all. My best running buddy was sad because of a non-running issue, and my other gal pal was hesitantly excited since she just committed to running the full marathon in October! Can we say emotional soup, please?

I found my group and off we went. We had to walk a bit first to get where we needed to start, and then >bang!< We were off, running more swiftly than a ... butterfly? spider? centipede? It doesn't matter, we were moving! The old right knee felt a bit funny, but was no where near hurting! Our pace was slow and the steps short, which is what the coaches had ordered. The walk breaks were more like saunters! In the end, we completed the 6 miles in an hour and 38 minutes. That's over a 16 minute mile. :\ I'm horrified, but not hurting. I think I have to chose physical benefits over my pride - this time. We'll see how it shakes out Aug. 31st.

The weather was in our favor, for sure, warm but with a nice breeze. My new running companions were chatty and welcoming. At the water stops, I didn't need to be spritzed down or grab any ice (weather or lack of exertion?) Once, I noticed I was pulling out in front a little, but I'm glad I had them to pull me back. I felt good all the way through and had a huge smile for my coaches at the end of the run. Derek was just as pleased when I returned home with a happy face and a healthy knee! :)

Next week - 12 miles. I know it will take us close to four hours - the 2:3 team did 11 miles last week in 3:40something! I'm going to die if it's over four - on race day, you are disqualified if you don't finish within four hours. Breathe in, breathe out. It will work itself out. That's for sure.

Little steps, new insoles, slower pace; three good things. Two new generous contributors - Kevin Frankel and Stacey Haynie; two GREAT people! A new hope for finishing this half marathon without pain; that's OK by me! :)

2 comments:

RichFam said...

Take good care of yourself, Susan! You'll do great, I am sure of it!

Remember, Isaiah 40:31 - "those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will mount up on wings as eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not be faint."

Love ya, girl! :o)

chevygirl54 said...

Wow Suz, you are doing awesome! I am still green with envy! Maybe sometime I will find a person that will coach me into running, I got the walking down, now I need to get to the running without losing my breath! Keep up the great work, you look awesome! Jodi