Saturday, July 5, 2008

10 miles, done! But what's this?

The glory of finishing ten miles is overshadowed by pain in my right knee and hip, and a hobble like an old woman.

We had a brand new route today, heading out Oxford Road, around a lovely neighborhood, back into town and down familiar streets. The insides of my knees were acting up a little during my second maintenance run. I went about business the rest of the week; things were fine. Within the first two minutes of running I felt my knees again. Others were mentioning their aches and pains, ankles, someone's knee, someone's back from moving furniture... a bunch of griping hens, we were!

After 5 miles, my right hip began to hurt - inside hip and outside knee, thus I had both sides of my right knee cap hurting and my hip. Honestly, I just wanted these ten miles all done, I didn't pay attention to if it felt better while I walked or what. I do remember saying my knee felt "rusty" when I started running again - I imagined a rusty spokey-geary bit near the peddles on a bike. Just keep pushing the peddles and ya keep movin' forward. Just get it done.

The ten miles were done in 2 hours 24 minutes, 14.4 minutes per mile. 18 minutes for the last mile. Why didn't we just walk backwards, we coulda made it quicker! Geez. I'm disheartened because, once again, I find out that being lazy and doing the bare minimum has rotten rewards. I haven't cross-trained (maybe I want to be home instead of the gym all the time), I run only 5 or 6 miles a week (see reasoning above), so far this has be easy-ish? so why put in extra time and attention if it ain't broken. Ahh... but now things are falling apart and to fix it takes extra time and attention.

My super terrific at home coach suggested I roll out my ITB with a rolling pin type contraption he has. Just roll, up and down on the outside of my leg from my hip to my knee. I felt like a million bucks! Maybe if I do it again I won't walk like Quasimodo, where did I put it?

So - 10 miles done! Hurray! Only add a 5K and I've completed a half marathon! I just have to take it easy and train properly. I'm finishing this thing. I may be a slow learner, but I'm determined! Thank goodness next weekend is a five miler, I have to do it on my own at the Y in NY prior to my high school reunion. Figures, all of this a week before my high school reunion when I should be able to boogie the night away to 80s tunes and with old friends... I may be walking my five miles, but it'll get done!

1 comment:

RichFam said...

Make sure you take care of yourself so you'll be in tip top shape for the big run!

I am so proud of you for reaching the 10 mile mark... even if you did have to hobble! ha ha :o)

--Michelle <><